Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pretty Face by Mary Hogan

Title: Pretty Face
Author: Mary Hogan
Publisher: Harper Teen (March 24, 2009)
Length: 224 pages
Source: Hastings store
Edition: paperback

From the Back of the Book:

Hayley has such a pretty face...
      Translation: Don't even think about putting on a bikini, much less flirting wiht super-hot Drew Wyler. A bikini  will never be flattering, and Drew will never think of Hayley as more than a friend.
      Just When Hayley feels doomed to live in the fat lane, her parents decide to send her to Italy for the summer. It's there, under the Italian sun, that Hayley's vision of herself starts to change. She's curvy, not fat. Pizza isn't evil. And life is so much more than one-size-fits-all. Who knows? Once Hayley sees herself in a new light, maybe the girl with the pretty face will finally find true amore.
My Thoughts:

This is a book about a teenage girl learning to accept herself. Plain and simple. She goes over to another country that allows her to be her self and when she does she changes for the better. A lot of girls will relate to Hayley on her body image issues. How many times have you heard someone say oh she has such a pretty face? It kind of made me think on exactly what that means. On this level I really liked the book. However, this is one story in which I wasn't a big fan of the romance and I can't exactly put my finger on why. Maybe it was the fact that they moved too fast. I just don't know. Pretty Face is also a very short book at just shy of 230 pages. The ending was a little rushed for me and I thought that it could have been fleshed out a little better. I'm still not exactly sure what happened. As for the setting of the book...it's Italy! Mary Hogan did a wonderful job of describing the culture, scenery, and food of Italy. I know I wished I was there.  I recommend this book to girls who have ever had body image concerns. This book get a 3 STAR rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment