Friday, May 11, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Audio (April 24, 2012)
Narrator: Amy Rubinate
Length: 8 hrs. & 7 mins.
Format: audiobook
Source: Audible.com


Description from Goodreads:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.



My Thoughts:

Going into this book I honestly didn't know what to expect. The first thing it reminded me of was The Bachelor ...and this is not a good thing. However, The Selection by Kiera Cass pleasantly surprised me. America has grown up in a world divided by the caste system where she has to constantly work to help feed her family. This is a character that most readers will be able to connect to. America has strong ties and feelings about family, but at the same time she wants to be able to do something for herself. I won't say she grew as a character throughout the book, but more of her personality was revealed and a person was introduced. She isn't "good" all of the time. Sometimes she is petulant and "forgets her place", and I liked that. Her heart broken love affair with Aspen isn't something I understand. I just don't like the guy. Prince Maxon on the other hand is a true prince, if a little naive. This is a different twist on the story from normally having the girl be the naive one and I appreciated it. The machinations and personalities of the other contestants really made me think. Half of them were there because they wanted the crown and the other half were there because they were "in love" with the prince. It got me to thinking which is better, to want something in hopes of advancing your way of life or to be infatuated with someone you don't know and think it is love. I can't wait to see how this story progresses and how the rebels will come into play. The only "negative" was the ending of the story. It wasn't what I expected. In fact, I had to rewind it to see if I had skipped a chapter or if it had quit working. The ending wasn't the best in the world, but the rest of the story has left me wanting to read the next book. I give this book a 4 STAR rating.

The audio in The Selection was good. None of the voices were over the top, but it did take me a little bit to be able to distinguish some of the girl voices in the beginning.


***If you haven't heard The Selection by Kiera Cass has been turned into a TV show that will be airing on the CW the same channel that book to movie adaptations of Gossip Girl, The Vampire Diaries, and The Secret Circle comes on. For more information go to IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment