Monday, October 1, 2012

Biting Cold by Chloe Neill

Title: Biting Cold
Author: Chloe Neill
Series: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel #6
Narrator: Sophie Eastlake
Length: 10 hrs. & 40 min.
Format: audiobook


Description from Goodreads:

 Turned into a vampire against her will, twenty-eight-year-old Merit found her way into the dark circle of Chicago’s vampire underground, where she learned there was more to supernaturals than met the eye—and more supernaturals than the public ever imagined.And not all the secrets she learned were for sharing—among humans or inhumans. Now Merit is on the hunt, charging across the stark American Midwest, tailing a rogue supernatural intent on stealing an ancient artifact that could unleash catastrophic evil on the world. But Merit is also the prey. An enemy of Chicagoland is hunting her, and he’ll stop at nothing to get the book for himself. No mercy allowed.

No rules apply. No lives spared. The race is on.


My Thoughts:

       This is a hard review for me to write. Biting Cold is the number one book I have been looking forward to in 2012 and Chicagoland Vampires is in my top 5 favorite series ever! The last book Drink Deep left readers (at least me) dying to read this upcoming installment. For some reason this book just didn't hit it for me, in fact this is my least favorite book in the series. Don't get me wrong I still liked it, but it wasn't what I had hoped for. Biting Cold seems to leave from the typical story due to the Mallory and Tate aspects. Readers learn more about who and what they are taking away focus that had previously been on other characters. Let's just say that there are some BIG surprises in store that I never would have guessed. Whether I liked this surprise or where it took the story is a different story. It came out of "left field" for me despite the build up in the previous books and to top it all off, the way everything wrapped up was a little too predictable and easier than expected.The supernatural creatures and relationships tying them together were a shock and opened a whole new door for any creature to make an appearance.

        Perhaps the biggest thing I missed in this book is Merit's relationship with all of the other characters. Lindsey, Jeff, Catcher, and the occasional Gabriel have really grown through the series and they seemed to only be superficially present and make a sparse appearance here and there in Biting Cold. Despite this, the two characters I missed the most were Morgan and Jonah. There is just an extra spark that they bring to the book. They are on a couple of pages, but I want them to have some real interaction with Merit. I'm not the biggest fan of Ethan and they lend that option of another love interest. Speaking of Ethan... he is more wish-washy/self sacrificing than ever and constantly keeps Merit on the fence about their relationship. A decision needs to be made. The best part about the book is the ending. While all of the drama with Mallory going big bad evil witch and Tate revealing what he truly is the Cadogan house is still dealing with the ramifications of giving the Greenwich Presidium the blow off when Ethan came back. They don't let up in Biting Cold. Choices will be made that have me clambering to get my hands on the next installment. I may not have loved the book, but my love for the series is just as strong as ever! I give this book a 3 1/2 STAR rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment