Saturday, November 26, 2011

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

Phoebe was excited about having won her race and even more excited when she saw her mom had made it back to watch her. She expected her mom to bring her back a souvenir not a new stepdad! That’s right, while visiting family; her mom married some guy who is headmaster at a private school on some tiny Greek Island. Hopefully she can just stay with a friend, but no, her mom insists that she move halfway across the world to live with them. The thing that sucks the most is its Phoebe’s senior year and she needs to get good grades and keep racing to get a coveted college scholarship. Thank goodness she only has to last nine months. That might be a little harder than she thought. Phoebe is in for the surprise of her life. Everyone on the island and at the school are descendants of the Greek gods. You read right…GODS! Somehow Phoebe is going to have to make the track team while competing with supernatural runners. The kids at school aren’t exactly friendly either; her wicked stepsister keeps making her food come to life and the hottie on the track team magically ties her shoes together.  How is a girl to survive when the playing field is mortal and demi –god.

I listened to this book on audio via www.audible.com.  I thought it was too cute! I haven’t read that many books about Greek gods and this was a pleasant surprise.  Phoebe is funny and I loved her tenacity. She didn’t let a little thing like everyone else having magic get in the way of her goals. Although this was a light read I really liked the message about growing up. We make plans when we are little and have every intention of keeping them, but sometimes we have to grow up and go our own path.  The only thing that I didn’t like was how Phoebe’s mom and stepdad fell so fast for each other. I thought that was a little strange and would have liked that to me fleshed out more. They should have set down and had her mom explain everything. What teenager do you know would have just accepted that?  Then again this is Phoebe’s story not her mom’s. Over all I really liked this story. The person who voiced it was also really good and made the book enjoyable. This is really important in audiobooks. I have quit listening to audio books before because I couldn’t stand the sound of the reader’s voice.  I give this book a 4 STAR rating.

***Oh. My. Gods. Extras***

Oh .My. Gods.  By Tera Lynn Childs has approximately (paperback reprint edition) 288 pages or is 7hrs. and 31 min. in length and narrated by Jessica Almasy. It was published on May 14, 2009 by Speak. This is the first book in the series. The sequel is available for purchase and is entitled Goddess Boot Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment