Thursday, December 22, 2011

You, Maybe: The Profound Asymmetry of Love in High School by Rachel Vail

You, Maybe: The Profound Asymmetry of Love in High School by Rachel Vail
Josie isn’t and never has been one of the popular crowd. She has Tru, Zandra, and Michael, her best friends. The only people she could ever need. Josie and Michael along with a few other guys are makeout buddies. It never means anything more. Josie has no desire to lose herself in a relationship. One day the Golden Boy, Carson, starts paying attention to her. Will he change her mind about relationships or just change her?
I try to give every story a fair chance. I hate to be mean and give a book a bad review, but sometimes it’s unavoidable.  After saying this I must confess that I HATED this book.  I know high school teens are hormonal and change their minds every day, but I left my teens about three years ago and still live with two teens; 15 and 17 and this book was just off. It was almost as if the main character suffered from mood swings or had a really bad case of month long PMS. She had what I would call a psychotic break with stalker tendencies. None of the other characters were any better. My favorite was her mom who didn’t want anything to do with her, but change her. I completely understand the feeling.  I normally try to find something redeemable about a book, but I couldn’t find one in You, Maybe. If you want to read a short book about a dysfunctional teen, with swiftly changing, nonsensical emotions that defy logic, be my guest. I have seen some good reviews about this authors other books, and I’ll give them a try. A horrible book does not a horrible author make. I give this a 1 ½ STAR rating.
***You, Maybe Extras***
You, Maybe by Rachel Vail has approximately 224 pages and was published on June 26, 2007 by Harper Teen.

No comments:

Post a Comment