Friday, January 13, 2012

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies (Bk. #1)

Title: A Beautiful Dark
Author: Jocelyn Davies
Publisher: Harper Teen (September 27, 2011)
# of Pages: 400 Hardcover
Source: Bought on Amazon
***This is book number one of a trilogy***

From the Back of the Book:
On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.
In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

My Thoughts:

  A Beautiful Dark has been on my TBR list for a while so with my Christmas money I thought I would give it a try. I wanted to like this book but, it just didn't do it for me. The main thing not in it's favor for me was the fact that I just couldn't seem to like Skye. She is too wishy washy for me. Half of the book revolves around her going back and forth between having feelings for Asher and Devin. I love a good love triangle as much as the next person (actually one of the reasons I bought it), but I couldn't decide who Skye liked until the last two pages...literally. Then there is poor Ian, the best friend whom Skye has to be blind not to have noticed he has a thing for her, but constantly insists on hanging out with. Give the poor boy a break. Cassie, Skye's best friend, was way too shallow. When she finally did show the first sign of being growing as a character it came out of nowhere. The characters just weren't that likable to me. If I had to pick a favorite it would definitely be Asher. He was dark, brooding, and a bit of a playboy. The thing that made him stand out is that he was his own person. Asher isn't perfect and doesn't apologize for it. He goes after what he wants and still manages to make you like him.
     Now to the story line. I knew what the characters were from the first page. I wasn't expecting a big reveal or shock thrown in to the plot in that area. The thing is that I have read stories along this same line dozens of times.  A Beautiful Dark didn't add anything I haven't read before. I was upset with the lack of originality. I feel like I have done nothing but complain. Onto the part I liked. The ending was the best part of the book. It could have been fleshed out a little more, but I so was not expecting that to happen. A Beautiful Dark leaves with a huge cliffhanger. Will I be picking up the next one? The answer is if the price is right.  My review might sound a like I hated the book, but I didn't. A Beautiful Dark was just OK. I give this book  a 3 STAR rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment