Monday, January 16, 2012

Unleashed:Wolf Springs Chronicles by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie (bk. 1)


                      

Title: Unleashed: Wolf Springs Chronicles
Author: Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie
Series #: Book 1
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (November 22, 2011
# of Pages: 400

From the Book: 
Katelyn McBride's life changed in an instant when her mother died. Uprooted from her California home, Katelyn was shipped to the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, to her only living relative, her grandfather. And now she has to start over in Wolf Springs, a tiny village in the Ozark Mountains.

Like any small town, Wolf Springs has secrets. But the secrets hidden here are more sinister than Katelyn could ever imagine. It's a town with a history that reaches back centuries, spans continents, and conceals terrifying truths.

And Katelyn McBride is about to change everything.

Broken families, ageless grudges, forced alliances, and love that blooms in the darkness night-welcome to Wolf Springs.

My Thoughts:
I am conflicted when it comes to Unleashed. I am a huge fan of the Wicked series by these two authors. It is no secret that I like heroines who aren't perfect and Katelyn McBride is most definitely not perfect. She is a big city LA girl who fully expects the people in Arkansas to be wearing cut off jeans and overalls chewing on hay and there are various references to banjo (which I found funny). She is a city girl snob and I'm fine with it. Kat is a young woman whose life has changed drastically and traumatically. It's OK that some of her thoughts and actions aren't always PC or nice, give her a break. Really, perfect heroines are no fun. Let's get to the other characters. Trick (I love this name)...I don't know how I feel about him. His actions are all over the place and are never explained. He is sweet and cares for her sometimes and other times he is a class A jerk whom I wish Katelyn would punch in the face. Now on to Cordelia. I actually liked her at the beginning of the book, but by the end I felt pity for her and wanted Kat to punch her too. Justin, Jesse, and her grandfather were all good characters and I was perfectly happy with them.

Now we get down to everything else. There is a lot of mystery in this book and along with that a lot of unanswered questions in the end. There is a HUGE cliffhanger, but I think a few of the mysteries should have been wrapped up. The massive quantity of unanswered questions going on in the book confused me in the beginning and left me confused at the end. There was just too much. Hopefully the next book will do a better job of wrapping some of this up. I actually didn't see the "big surprise" of what happens in the book coming.(Email me if you want to talk about this) Will I be buying/reading the next book? YES! Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie are just too awesome and this series has too much potential for me not to. I am torn between a 3 1/2 and a 4 rating. It was a good book, but could have used some tweaks. I am going to have to give this book a 3 1/2 STAR rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment