Wednesday, February 22, 2012

As You Wish by Jackson Pearce



Title: As You Wish
Author: Jackson Pearce
Publisher: Harper Teen ( August 25, 2009)
Length: 304 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Edition: paperback

Description from Goodreads:
A brokenhearted Viola inadvertently summons a genie into her world. Jinn agrees to stay until Viola makes three wishes, but she's afraid she won't wish for the right thing. Jinn can't deny that he's falling for Viola, and only after she makes her first wish does Viola realize she's in love with Jinn.

 
My Thoughts:

I was first introduced to the writings of Jackson Pearce through an audiobook of her story The Sisters Red (which was amazing on so many levels). So I thought I would give one of her earlier books a try. The first notable thing about As You Wish is that it is about a jinn (genie)! How many YA books are about that? Not many if any that I've came across. So, points for Jackson on that end. I found the world and rules of Jinn very interesting. It sort of reminded me of a supernatural dystopian universe maybe even a little like Brave New World? This is a book that is told from Jinn's and Viola. I must admit that I much preferred Jinn's perspective over Viola's. The main downfall in this book (for me) was my inability to connect with her on any level. It can be a real problem with a book when you can't connect with the main character. One of the biggest problems I had with her was that she lost her man and because of that her world fell apart. Many of us have had our share of heartbreak and went into a funk, but we didn't stop living our lives for months and months on end (especially in high school). How does Viola get over this said funk? She gets another man! I just didn't find this admirable. On the other hand there are girls out there that this happens too, so it wasn't implausible. I guess I was just expecting that quintessential strong female lead that I found in Sisters Red. The one thing I did really like about Viola was the thought she put into making her wishes. I know that I would have been shallow and wished for more materialistic things...like a never ending supply of YA books and a mansion, and lastly new clothes whenever I wanted.The ending of the story was a very nice touch when it came. I was wondering right until the end how Ms.Pearce would work everything out and she didn't disappoint my romantic heart. I give this book a 3 STAR rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment