Saturday, February 4, 2012

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep (Mythos Academy #1)

Title: Touch of Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Mythos Academy #1
Publisher: K-Teen (July 26, 2011)
Length: 336 pages
Source: purchased from Wal-Mart
Edition: 1 edition paperback

From the Back of the Book

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy- a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even  the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction an lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why- especially since I should have been the one who died...

My Thoughts

Touch of Frost was a very interesting read. The thing I most enjoyed was not just the traditional Greek/Roman myths, but that many culture's myths were mixed to make this unique world. I have always had a soft spot in my reading heart for "boarding school" books and add to that the fact that this is a school for warriors...amazingness is abudant! The main character is Gwen Frost. She is a nerd who loves comics and wears hoodies 24/7...she's awesome! Gwen is a character who feels the need to right injustices and she is more sympathetic or more human than her fellow classmates. There is a lack of self assurance in Gwen that I believe many people experience at least once in their lifetime. She has these amazing abilities and a caring heart, but never sees herself being quite as good as those around her. As for Logan (the main guy in the story), I think I've just found another bad boy crush! He is certainly a naughty boy, but I have a feeling he is hiding something. Daphne was the other character I found very likable. She adds just the right touch of airiness, self assurance, and snobbery to counteract Gwen.

The story as a whole was very good, but judging by the cover I wasn't expecting it to be for "older" teens. By that I mean the sexual content. It wasn't excessive and I believe that it plays a role in the story showing what kind of world her classmates have grown up in. The story line overall reminded me a little of Oh. My. Gods. by Terra Lynn Childs (this isn't a bad thing), but on a more grown up level. This is a unique and very enjoyable start to a series that I am sure many will love. I give this book a 3 1/2 STAR rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment