Friday, March 23, 2012

Isle of Night by Veronica Wolff, The Watchers #1

Title: Isle of Night
Author: Veronica Wolff
Publisher: NAL Trade (September 6, 2011)
Series: The Watchers #1
Length: 320 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Edition: paperback

My (summarized) Description:

Seventeen year old Anneliese Drew, a genius with an I.Q. of 185 has managed to graduate a semester early and earn a full ride scholarship. She has waited her entire life to escape the tiny town of Christmas, Florida and her abusive alcoholic father and can't wait to start over at college. Her plans get derailed when an error in her transcripts occur and the registrar's office tells her she is technically still in high school. Drew meets the mysterious and ever sexy Ronan outside of the school and he has the perfect solution to her problem. He invites her to join a super "private school" she knows nothing about. After all, what does she have to loose? See, the thing Ronan doesn't tell her is that the school is really a training school for young women to become Watchers. The go to girls for the vampires...yes, vampires. Drew will have to be braver, out smart, out perform, and out live all of her class mates. She just has to make sure no one stabs her in the back...litterally.

My Thoughts:

Drew is a farely unique character. She doesn't have your average stats, what with having ice blonde hair, short stature,a genius I.Q. , and uses her wits to stay alive. She isn't a soft and fuzzy character. She cares about the other girls, but in the end she is going to do what it takes for her to stay alive. No self sacrificing for this girl and I kinda like it. In fact I like all of the characters in this book from Emma and Yasuo the friends, Ronan the hot guy, and Lilac one of the biggest b****es I've ever read about. Isle of Night has some romance, but it takes a backseat to Drew's actual story/journey. I found this to be surprising and refreshing. From the cover I was expecting a love story, but the romance part of the book was more of a filler or background story. This only added to the book for me. Many popular stories tend to solely revolve around a relationship and in some ways weaken the female lead in my mind (maybe I'm weird), but Isle of Night stayed true to the tough theme. The characters in this book are right out of high school and a couple of years older. As I've said in several other reviews I think this is a much ignored age group. (The main character is 17 almost 18)There seems to be a lack of books written for this in between teen and adult group.
      The concept behind this vampire world is extremely intriguing, but I would've liked more "world building" or more background information on the vampires. Secondly, once I realized that this really isn't a romance, I would've liked a little more action/kick buttness or more romance. One or the other, it was an odd combination and could have used some tweaking. I give this book a 3 1/2 STAR rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment