Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens

Title: Heavenly
Author: Jennifer Laurens
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing (June 1, 2009)
Series: Heavenly #1
Length: 294 pages
Format: eCopy Kindle

Description from Goodreads:

I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him.

Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever


My Thoughts:

     Heavenly was a pleasant surprise for me. At first I didn't really like Zoe, because she wasn't the type of girl I would want to hang out with. However, Jennifer Laurens does an amazing job of giving readers insight into why she is the way she is and as the story progressed she evolved into a character I can't wait to read more about. Zoe is a character who has some faults; drinking, sleeping around, and being a tad hypocritical at times, but she can admit to those. Matthias and Abria were amazing! I loved how each of them contributed something that was missing in Zoe's life. The relationship that Zoe has with her you autistic sister Abria was particularly interesting. A good friend of mine has a son with autism and she explained it much the same way as it appears in the book. It was a change of pace to read about this in a young adult book. At times I cringed at the way Zoe acted/felt  toward her sister, but then I don't know what it is like to be in her position. As for Matthias I find him very intriguing and mysterious, but I'm not sure if I like him as a love interest for Zoe. Despite Zoe's brother and best friends being secondary characters I am very curious to see where the author will take these characters.
     This book was unique in my opinion. There haven't been many books about angels that I have read and continued on with the series and even less "religious" books that I've kept up with. Most of the angel books never really bring God into the story or talk about the spiritual evolution that a character goes through after being in contact with an angel. This is something I find extremely lacking in these books. Jennifer Laurens tackled this pretty well. Secondly, when the book did verge onto this subject it wasn't "preachy". Be for warned Heavenly has one MAJORLY unexpected ending and cliffhanger. Make sure you can get the sequel Penitence right away. Not all of the aspects of the book jived, but this is a story that I really enjoyed. I can't wait to read the next one. I give this book a 4 STAR rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment