Monday, August 13, 2012

Die For Me by Amy Plum

Title: Die For Me
Author: Amy Plum
Series: Revenants #1
Narrator: Julia Whelan
Publisher: Harper Audio
Length: 9 hours and 20 minutes (352 pages)
Format: Audiobook


Description from Goodreads:

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.


My Thoughts:

At first I was slightly apprehensive to read this book because of the description. For some reason I just kept picturing angels and reincarnation. Die For Me isn't about either of those things. I really enjoyed this book. Kate isn't a kick-butt action packed heroine, but she is tough when she needs to be in the face of danger. The fact that Kate isn't the typical "stoic" heroine also drew me in. She shows normal distraught emotion over the horrible things that she has went  through recently.  She is the type of main character that doesn't get utilized much in YA paranormal fiction. The fact that she is a semi-average girl was refreshing. Then you had Vincent. He is a pretty amazing guy. It would be hard not to fall for him. Vincent is tough, chivalrous, protective, funny, and has just a little bit of a dangerous streak. The only thing I found "faulty" about this couple was how hard and fast they fell for each other. The other characters in the story are also written perfectly. Each one has their own personality and identity. They were enjoyable and I don't think the book would have been as good without them.

The world of the Revenants is definitely a unique one. I know I've never read another book with this type of supernatural creature before. It isn't hard to make a "creature" up, but to have them actually make sense is completely different. If I believed in the supernatural I could see revenants existing. I can't tell you what they are because it is too good of a surprise. Making this book even more awesome was the fact that it takes place in Paris. I must admit between the Parisian places/sights and the smattering of French throughout the book I did get a little lost at times. Other than that this new world was an easy one to get immersed in.

This is an audiobook review so...the audio must be addressed. The narrator for Die For Me is Julia Whelan and she did an excellent job. She had to switch back and forth from French and English accents. I've never really been around many people with that accent, but it sounded good to me. I give this book a 4 STAR rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment