Friday, August 10, 2012

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen



Title: Dark Kiss
Author: Michelle Rowen
Narrator: Amanda Ronconi
Series: Nightwatchers #1
Publisher:
Length:
Format: audiobook

Description from Goodreads:

I don't do dangerous. Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me....


My Thoughts:

     Dark Kiss was a mixed bag of tricks for me. Going into the book I was a little leery about the angel/demon world, but was extremely looking forward to the romance. Surprisingly Dark Kiss was switched for me. Samantha was a good heroine for the story. She was funny and had flaws and quirks.  These things contributed to making her a believable character. On the romance side was Bishop. Don't get me wrong he seems like a nice guy, but there just wasn't any spark in him. The whole time I couldn't figure out what made him so irresistible. Then there was Craven....I don't want to give too much away, but I'm hoping for a love triangle in the future. The thing that I liked about him was that he actually had a personality. He was sort of deadpan and sarcastic, yet you could tell he has a softer side.

     This is a book about angels and demons, good vs. evil, and doomed love. As far as a storyline goes this has been done before. That said, there are some original surprises that have the potential to make this a truly unique series. There is also mystery added to the book in the form of the relationship and history between Craven and Bishop. I can't wait to learn more about them. The ending of the book is what really surprised me. It was one of those "oh no she didn't" moments.

This review does refer to the audiobook version. Amanda Ronconi did the narration for Dark Kiss. She has a great cadence to her voice and the characters all had distinguishable voices. None of them were too over the top and all sounded age appropriate. She did a wonderful job. Overall Dark Kiss was a good, but not great read. I give this book a 3 STAR rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment