Thursday, September 6, 2012

Amplified by Tara Kelly

 
Title: Amplified
Author: Tara Kelly
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR); First Edition edition (October 25, 2011)
Length: 304 pages
Format: hardcover

My Blurb/Synopsis:

If you are looking for a fun music/band oriented book give Amplified by Tara Kelly a try. In this girl on the verge of womanhood book readers get a glimpse into the life of Jasmine Kiss. Jasmine is giving living on her own terms a try. She has recently graduated high school, her emotionally distant father is insisting she start college and all Jasmine wants to do is play guitar and relax for once in her life. Her father has cut her off and with only sixteen hundred dollars, her guitars, amps, and a broken down car she has to find a way to survive. None of her prospects seem good until a chance to live and play with a new band comes up. All she has to do is convince the rather reluctant band to let her join. From then on everything should be smooth crooning…if only.
 
My Thoughts:
I really liked Jasmine. Despite not having a plan Jasmine wings it the best she can and I admire that about her. At times she is insecure and self-doubting, but she works it out. I was intrigued throughout the book on how everything would turn out for Jasmine and loved getting to see her grow. All of this is thanks in part to the new friends she makes, Veta in particular. Let me just say that I loved Veta! She is wild, crazy, supportive, loyal, and will tell it like it is. I would love to have a Veta in my life. You can’t forget Veta’s brother and band mate Sean. He is quiet, smart, and a bit of an ass or in other words sexy. The butting heads of Jasmine and Sean was great and you could just feel the chemistry. The other characters in the book were awesome as well. They each had their own extremely unique and quirky personalities that I loved reading about. Believe it or not the ending to this book actually surprised me, but I won’t say anymore (don’t’ want to give anything away). There is also potential for a sequel! One of the only downsides to the book was all of the music/equipment lingo in the beginning. It was a little heavy and confusing, but thankfully it mellows out.  All in all this was a fairly light book and a good quick read. I give this book a 3 ½ STAR rating.






My Thoughts:

No comments:

Post a Comment