Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper (audiobook)


Title: Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs
Author: Molly Harper
Narrator: Amanda Ronconi
Series: Jane Jameson #1
Publisher: Audible, Inc. (February 19, 2010)
Length: 8 hrs 49 mins.
Source: audible.com
Edition: audiobook

Description from Audible (publisher's description):

Maybe it was the Shenanigans gift certificate that put her over the edge. When children's librarian and self-professed nice girl Jane Jameson is fired by her beastly boss and handed $25 in potato skins instead of a severance check, she goes on a bender that's sure to become Half Moon Hollow legend. On her way home, she's mistaken for a deer, shot, and left for dead. And thanks to the mysterious stranger she met while chugging neon-colored cocktails, she wakes up with a decidedly unladylike thirst for blood.
Jane is now the latest recipient of a gift basket from the Newly Undead Welcoming Committee, and her life-after-lifestyle is taking some getting used to. Her recently deceased favorite aunt is now her ghostly roommate. She has to fake breathing and endure daytime hours to avoid coming out of the coffin to her family. She's forced to forgo her favorite down-home Southern cooking for bags of O negative. Her relationship with her sexy, mercurial vampire sire keeps running hot and cold. And if all that wasn't enough, it looks like someone in Half Moon Hollow is trying to frame her for a series of vampire murders. What's a nice undead girl to do?

My Thoughts:

     I've read the paperback version of this and saw it one day on sale at audible and thought I'd pick it up again.Let me tell you, if you're looking for a good southern romantic vampire comedy, Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs is your book. Jane is a laugh out loud heroine. I found her sense of humor relatable and the fact that she loves books and is a librarian makes her awesome! The relationship she has with her mother, grandmother, and sister had me cracking up and cringing all at the same time. I know I definitely would've bit them. Zeb, her best friend, is one of my favorite characters. He seems to keep Jane grounded, yet he's her partner in crime. As for Gabriel and Dick...they are complicated. I'm not a real big fan of Gabriel. Something about him just rubs me the wrong war (even in the other books. Saying Dick is a playboy and has a raunchy sense of humor is a bit of an understatement...I like it :)
    
     Now that the characters are out of the way onto the plot. I must say I found the book quite original. Books like this one have a typically predictable ending, but I didn't see this one coming. This series combines everything I look for: supernatural creatures, romance, comedy, and a quirky kick-butt heroine. A lot of books have this, but Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs combines it in a unique way that will have you running to the nearest store for the next book.

     This current version that I listened to is an audiobook so let's talk about that. Amanda Ronconi did a great job voicing this book. Her characters didn't have weird or over the top voices and sounded age appropriate. The only complaint I had was that Jane's southern accent was a little funny. At times she sounded like a hick and then it would subtly fade away to where she had no accent at all. Maybe it was supposed to be like that. I know my accent gets thicker when I'm emotional. It could be the same way with Jane. I give this book a 4 STAR rating!

* This is a series! So, if you liked Jane there's more of her! #1 Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs, #2 Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men, #3 Nice Girls Don't Live Forever, and the third book Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors is coming out February 28, 2012!
** This is an adult book with a couple of mature (sex) scenes. If I had to give an age recommendation (which I don't like to do) I would go with 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment