Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Saving June by Hannah Harrington


Title: Saving June
Author: Hannah Harrington
Publisher: Harlequin Teen (November 22, 2011)
Length: 336 pages
Source: Walmart ( they have some decent books and prices)
Edition: paperback

Description from Goodreads:

‘If she’d waited less than two weeks, she’d be June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that.’
Harper Scott’s older sister has always been the perfect one so when June takes her own life a week before her high school graduation, sixteen-year-old Harper is devastated. Everyone’s sorry, but no one can explain why.
When her divorcing parents decide to split her sister’s ashes into his-and-her urns, Harper takes matters into her own hands. She’ll steal the ashes and drive cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going California.
Enter Jake Tolan. He’s a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession and nothing in common with Harper’s sister. But Jake had a connection with June, and when he insists on joining them, Harper’s just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanour and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what she needs.
Except June wasn’t the only one hiding something. Jake’s keeping a secret that has the power to turn Harper’s life upside down again
.

My Thoughts:

Saving June was sad, heartbreaking, and beautifully healing all at the same time. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose my sister to suicide and don't want to. Harper's decision to take her sister's ashes to California , fulfilling one of her last wishes was so touching. I have no words. As for Harper's fellow road trippers Laney her best friend, and the ever mysterious Jack Tolan were amazing supporting characters. If I ever go on a road trip I want friends like them along with me. One of the most interesting parts of the book was all of the music talk and the emotions behind it. I was on Google/YouTube constantly looking up all of these songs. I had so much fun discovering new artists and forgotten oldies. During their trip they make various detours and do a little self discovery and growing up along the way. The saddest part was that Harper didn't know her sister like she thought she did. It broke my heart and made me want to go hug my sister. If you are a YA contemporary fan and a music lover you should read this. It was sweet, it was heartbreaking, it left me asking "Is that it?", and it was perfect. Saving June is probably at the top of my reads for this year. I give this book a 5 STAR rating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment