Friday, June 14, 2013

My Side by Tara Brown


Title: My Side
Author: Tara Brown
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Length: 439 KB
Format: ebook


Description from Goodreads:

Erin Benson felt like she'd won the lottery when she arrived all the way from North Dakota with the keys to her first home in hand.
Crisp white walls: Check.
Breathtaking view of downtown Boston: Check.
Minutes from Northeastern School of Law: Check.

But home is not always where the heart is. Sometimes it’s where you find Mr. Random shacked up and sprawled out on what was supposed to be your new bed.
Between the bear spray and the handcuffs, she discovers a terrible mistake has been made.
Lochlan hasn't broken into her new home to sleep with a seedy barmaid...he owns half.

With emotions running on high, Erin is determined to tough it out until a solution can be found.
The tight quarters seem smaller with his accumulated clutter and bizarre sleeping schedule. It also doesn't help that he's the new lead singer for Thin Ice, an indie band on its rise to fame.
What happens when a quiet bookworm gets stuck with a relentless rocker?
What happens when the things you see are not the things you get?


My Thoughts:

      I can't help it...I judge books by their covers. From this cover I assumed I was going to read a fun and light battle between boy and girl. Then to further my expectations the synopsis kind of backed up my assumptions. Well, you know what assuming does? It makes me WRONG. My Side by Tara Brown is one emotional roller coaster filled with overly dramatic characters and an unhealthy relationship. Erin and Lochlan are perfect on the outside. Both characters are beautiful, smart, and talented. On the other hand, they are both truly messed up.

      Erin moves to Boston to go to law school and meets Lochlan. She first sees him in her newly rented apartment rolling in the hay with a fake boobed bimbo and maces him (by far best part of the book). Chaos and sexual innuendo ensues as they fight their obvious sexual attraction. Once they give in it is constant drama! The entire book basically consists of Erin's life revolving around Lochlan. Throughout the entire book she doesn't have one friend that is not connected to him or the band. The closest is a girl she meets at one of his concerts. Erin is constantly jealous and leaving Lochlan over something he or one of his groupies did. I kept thinking "Come on! Grow some lady balls!" And now to the leading man himself. Lochlan would get so "crazy" angry over the littlest thing that I kept expecting that he would just break and hit her any moment. He gets so angry he shuts down, eyes go black, shakes, and feels he has to destroy whatever room he is in. After every break up and anger episode he would go into stalker mode to try and win her back. How is this explained/resolved/made OK? He has ADHD and saw his father take care of his disabled mother from a young age. Seriously? This is not an excuse. How do the other characters and even Erin's own family handle the on again off again breakup crazy anger bouts? They blame Erin! They blame her for his crazy anger actions and plead with her to appease him so he can keep singing! By the end of the book hardly anything is resolved. They just decide to be a little more grown up and not act like two year olds.

      My ranting and raving is over. My Side wasn't completely terrible. If you like alpha-crazy men and hot sex, by all means read this book! My main gripe is that he relationship in this book isn't far fetched. It's crazy and goes on all the time. And my problem is that it is unhealthy and my girl power is just saying NO! I give this book a 2 1/2 Star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment